20 Things I've Learned in 20 Years

Today is my 20th birthday. While in the grand scheme of life, birthdays really aren't a big deal, I still like the opportunity they give to reflect on where God has taken me. And so, since I love lists and today is kind of all about me, I present to you a list of the top twenty things I've learned over the last twenty years:

1. Twenty years is really no time at all.
2. Jesus Christ is the way, the truth, and the life--for me and for you. My life is so much better with Him as priority number one.
3. After Jesus, family is the most important thing.
4. Sometimes, you get really lucky and have friends that become family.
5. Popcorn over the stove beats the microwave stuff everyday.      
6. Oftentimes, God calls you to participate in His plans in ways that you really don't want to. However, oftentimes you find yourself liking what He's called you to much more than expected. Which leads me to...
7. Montana's not as bad as it seems.
8. Travel is fantastic, but there's also something amazingly beautiful about home.
9. Take tape and scissors with you on any retreat; they almost always come in handy.
10. I love communication. Whether it's written, spoken, through music or through images, I love figuring out the best way to help people understand a message.
11. Generosity is always worth it.
12. No matter how fluffy they may be, I really don't like animals.
13. I want to spend my life fostering relationships. I want to cultivate my relationship with Jesus, and I want to help others deepen their relationship with Him. I also want to spend it fostering relationships with the people around me.
14. I'm introverted. Oh, so introverted. That kind of makes 13 a little hard, but it's still oh so worth it.
15. Music is powerful. Whether I'm listening or playing it, it brings me to closer to God. I love how it can bridge generation, socioeconomic, and cultural gaps, as well.
16. Change terrifies me. Change challenges me. And, sadly, change is good for me.
17. Maintaining relationships is a hard thing to do--especially over any distance--but it's important.
18. It's better to build people up than tear them down- but it's important to be honest while doing it.
19. Criticism, though hard to take in, is necessary to grow.
20. I have a very amazing life, filled with very amazing people. I am so thankful for all the ways they enhance my life--for cards and singing balloons and cakes and sweet journals on my birthday. For big hugs and shoulders to lean on. For love. I'm really, really blessed, and today I simply want to bask in that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Reset Button (Or: Why Camp Can't Get Rid of Me)

And the Church Kept Singing

A New Home, Church, and a Bit of Camp Wisdom