Mustard Seeds and Martin Luther King

Lately I've been dwelling a lot on this whole idea of faith. Just what does that word mean? Martin Luther King Jr. once said, "Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." Today I'm finding that both encouraging and daunting. I like to know where I am. I like to know what I'm doing. I like seeing the staircase. And yet, what King implies here is the fact that faith is not based on what you can see; but instead on trust. I've been finding lately that I don't trust much; my feet stay planted on the ground far more often than I like.

Jesus talks about faith in a different matter. He likes to compare it to mustard seeds. In Matthew 17:20 it says, "Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." In Mark 4:30-32, it says, "Again he said, 'What shall we say the kingdom of God is like, or what parable shall we use to describe it? It is like a mustard seed, which is the smallest seed you plant in the ground. Yet when planted, it grows and becomes the largest of all garden plants, with such big branches that the birds in the air can perch in its shade."
I have to admit that I often struggle with these passages. Mustard seeds are tiny. That little speck in the middle of that hand? Yeah, that's a mustard seed. Several years ago at church our pastor preached about mustard seeds; a friend and I ran around before the service started and put a single seed on every chair. Not one person noticed until the end of the sermon when the pastor pointed out that we were all sitting on a mustard seed; they're that small. I like to think that my faith is bigger than that, yet I've never seen a mountain move. Maybe Christ didn't mean it literally; I don't know. Either way, it makes me wonder: do I have even that much faith? 

Sometimes I really don't think so. I often felt like 2012 was a huge lesson in trust for me; trust that God has a plan in all of the changes that I went through, trust that He'll provide and take care of me when I listen and follow. When challenges come my way, though, it feels like I forget all those lessons. This week I found out some information that makes me really worry how I'll pay for school next year. Combined with acute homesickness and schoolwork stress, it's been an emotional overload. Suddenly I've forgotten how God provided for school this year, both financially, academically, and socially. Suddenly I can't see the staircase anymore and my feet freeze. Today a mustard seed dwarfs my faith. 

The passage in Mark, however, gives me hope. Mustard seeds grow plants that are much bigger than that one little seed suggests. It makes me think that Jesus can take my tiny little faith and do something much bigger through it to bring Him glory. It makes me think that when I put my shaky bit of trust in Jesus, he'll grow it bigger than I ever would have expected. Growing trust, though, growing faith, is hard. The only way it works for me is when God makes that staircase disappear. Despite the fact that I need them, I don't like these lessons. They make me uncomfortable. But Christ didn't call us to be comfortable, now, did he?

Today I'm thankful for Martin Luther King Jr. I'm thankful for a man who didn't let the lack of a visible staircase bother him. I'm thankful for a man who let Jesus take his little mustard seed of faith and grow a large garden plant. I'm thankful for all the good that's come to our nation because one man believed what Jesus said and acted on it. Today I wish I was just a little bit more like him.

So here's to picking up my feet and praying I'll land on God's stair. Pray with me, would you? Pray my homesickness wouldn't be so crushing. Pray he'd provide for next year. And pray I'll trust God more. I'll pray that for you, too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Reset Button (Or: Why Camp Can't Get Rid of Me)

And the Church Kept Singing

A New Home, Church, and a Bit of Camp Wisdom