Mary's Song (Advent Week One)

In a quest to be intentional this advent (and to find a healthy distraction from the pre-finals stress) I'm starting a series on Christ's birth. First up: His mom. 

If you'd like to view the Bible passage I'll be talking about in this post, click here.

For years Mary has been one of my role models in Scripture. She's a very young woman (probably around 13 or so, according to many scholars) engaged to be married to a man named Joseph. While I can't pretend to know how she felt about that, the fact remains: This girl had plans for her life, and one conversation changes all of that. 

I wonder just what Mary was thinking as the angel Gabriel came to tell her that God had chosen her to bear His son. Is she frightened? Thinking he's crazy? Questioning why she'd been chosen for this role? She lives in a period of history where this task she's been handed is highly dangerous. There were no "Sixteen and Pregnant" shows in her era. Joseph could have divorced her. She could have been alienated by her community; perhaps even stoned. God's calling might just spell her death.

It is the response of this unassuming young woman, however, that absolutely floors me. Mary takes this message in stride, and after a quick logistical problem-um, how could this be possible?-she merely states, "I am the Lord's servant. May your word to me be fulfilled." She doesn't argue. She doesn't bawl. She simply humbly admits she will follow the Lord wherever He leads, whatever the outcome-no turning back. 

I keep thinking this Christmas of what my response would be, and I must admit: I doubt it would be anywhere near Mary's. I've learned this year just how much I like to argue with God. I step on His feet, drag my heels, and try to avoid the things I feel He's calling me to, especially when I think it's not what I want. The title of this blog, in fact, stems from an argument about words God spoke into my life through a wise woman at camp. Even as I write this I keep thinking of areas I'm currently wrestling with Him about. There are people and places I don't want to give up, things I don't want to do. I get mad about the little Christmas things I won't get to experience this year-Journey to Bethlehem and Christmas concerts and going to every single craft bazaar with Hannah and my staff Christmas letter-and I take this anger out on God. But at the end of the day that's not what He's called me to do, especially during advent. I'm called to trust, and hope, and be obedient as we wait for Christ's return.

And so I find myself wondering: What would it be like if we followed Mary's example? What would it be like if we said yes to God without worrying about the consequences? What if we focused on glorifying Him first and foremost? It's my prayer, even as I recognize just how hard it will be for this stubborn heart to stop fighting. My prayer is that my heart would echo Mary's: "My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Reset Button (Or: Why Camp Can't Get Rid of Me)

A New Home, Church, and a Bit of Camp Wisdom

And the Church Kept Singing