Immanuel (Advent Week Four)

In a quest to be intentional this advent, I'm starting a series on Christ's birth. If you missed the first week's post, you can find it here. If you missed the second week's post, it's posted here. Sadly, I completely forgot to post the third week, and for that I give my deepest apologies.

"The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel (which means 'God with us')." -Matthew 1:23

Immanuel. It's always been such a special name of God to me. This Christmas, however, it's striking me anew. This Christmas, I find it particularly precious. Immanuel. God with us.

There's something so awe-inspiring about that concept. We have a God that wasn't content to merely watch our pain and distance himself from us; no, instead he chose to come down and meet us in the moment. We have a God humble enough to show up in the most unexpected circumstances: a simple manger in a dinky town, born to some average parents. He came. He lived, grew, walked, bled, ate, felt, talked, taught. He served. He saved. Immanuel. God with us.

I've been so thankful this past year that our Jesus truly is Immanuel. This is not the easiest Christmas for my family. There is heartache in this house. There are merely memories and empty seats in the place of people dearly missed. There are simply text messages in the place of a relationship I desperately long for. It hurts. But one beautiful thing about our Father sending the Son is that he truly knows our hurt. He knows our heartache-for he's experienced it. And Immanuel stands by through the thick and the thin, offering us the love, peace, and comfort that only he can truly give.

And yet, joy and happiness are present, too. I find happiness as I play games and spend time with my family. There's happiness in making sweet memories with dear friends new and old. Happiness in forts. Happiness in Apples to Apples. Happiness in cuddling up with blankets for a chick flick and a heart to heart. Happiness in being at home. There is joy, though, in the dear baby boy whose birthday we honor. Joy in the fact that despite all I do wrong, he loves me more than I can ever imagine. Joy because Jesus came. Joy because Jesus lives. Joy because Jesus saved me, and you. Joy to the world, the Lord has come; let earth receive her King.

Happy birthday to the man who holds my heart like none other can. I love you, Jesus, my Immanuel.

"Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests." -Luke 2:14

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Reset Button (Or: Why Camp Can't Get Rid of Me)

A New Home, Church, and a Bit of Camp Wisdom

And the Church Kept Singing