The Best and Worst of Bozeman

I get to go home in two weeks. Two. Weeks. T-w-o w-e-e-k-s. 14 days. Deux semaines. One fortnight.

I'm a little excited, if you can't tell.

I'm also a wee bit nervous. By the time I get home I'll have been gone for three months, and a lot can change during that time. People will have moved on and places will be different. I'm not exactly the same, either, though (um, no way would I have ever kept my room clean back home. Sorry, Mom.). Much as I might want to slip back into the roles I once held, they're not mine to fill anymore. That will most definitely be weird. Therefore, it's a countdown full of excitement and just a twinge of fear.

But mostly excitement.

With the realization that I'll be leaving in two weeks, though, came another: I'm a little sad to go. I've grown to really like Bozeman. And so, without further ado, here is a list of the best and worst of my new life.

THE BEST:
  1. My classes don't start until 9, sometimes 9:30. The "I hate the morning" person that is embedded within me loves that. Plus I'm still done before I would have been back in high school.
  2. My roommate, Brianna. She's pretty awesome, very nice, and she knows what all the exercises at the gym mean.
  3. Wok bar night in the dining hall. The line is always worth it.
  4. The bus system is free in Bozeman. Those of us car-less Washingtonians (i.e. Bri and I) very much appreciate it.
  5. There's actually quite a bit to do just on campus. The gym has a pool and a sauna; I went bowling in the student union building the other day. All within a five minute distance of my lovely little room.
  6. The quiet floor in the library. A pretty fountain + comfortable chairs + peace and quiet = my study haven. Though I will glare at you if you answer your cell phone.
  7. Swing dancing in the barn. By the time the line dances start up, it becomes incredibly obvious that I live in Montana.
  8. Google chat has a function to add hats and other images on people while you're talking. Elizabeth with a tiara and mustache at the same time? Priceless.
  9. Care packages. I feel loved and keep fed.
  10. InterVarsity! It's been such a blessing to me and an encouragement to grow in my faith.
  11. All the friends I've made here. They help fill lots of lonely holes. 
THE WORST:
  1. The girls' bathrooms. I was once asked what a modern day equivalent of Jesus washing the disciples' feet would be. My summer camp director was implying working with children was it; I'm now convinced that it's having to pick the hair balls out of the shower drain. So gross. So. Gross.
  2. It gets cold here. It's not even cold yet and I don't want to go outside.
  3. Hugs are not possible over the phone or Skype.  
  4. Living on the top floor of the dorms. It's fine except on laundry day or when I'm sore from the gym. Sadly, today's a double whammy.
  5. I miss people. A lot. Sometimes I don't think about it much; sometimes it's overwhelming, but it's always there.
All in all, though, I'm glad I'm here-- but I'm super glad to get to come home.

See you all very soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Reset Button (Or: Why Camp Can't Get Rid of Me)

A New Home, Church, and a Bit of Camp Wisdom

And the Church Kept Singing