Home

I love the Wenatchee Valley.

I love waking up and seeing Saddlerock out my front window. I love the deep blue Columbia River that rolls through the center of town. I love how apples are everywhere, from the names of companies to little brothers in apple judging contests to kind strangers who save you from a flat tire, and, yes, give you apples while you wait. I love Coffee Cabin and Blue Spoon and Spring Lotus and McGlinns and Lemolos and all those other quirky, only-in-the-valley places. But mostly I just love the people and faces that make Wenatchee what it truly is: home.

It was so, so, so nice to get to go back for Thanksgiving. I can't help praising God for that opportunity- I know too many people who weren't so lucky! And yes, some things were different. Some stores had changed. Some items in houses had moved around. Some babies had started walking, and others had finally arrived while I was away. Those aspects were a little strange, but in so many ways it felt like I had never left. In so many ways it felt so right to be there.

My week was filled with faces and places that I had missed so very much. My family played games on the Kindle and made fun of Travis's inability to draw or read (that word was seasick, Trav, not sea-stick). I got to visit with dear friends from high school, make Albanian food, run 5Ks, play weird quiz games, go to Froyo Friday, and laugh a lot. I got to "watch a movie" with one of the best friends you can ask for- and, not surprisingly, talk through the whole thing. There were days and dinners filled with people who might not technically be family, but are in the ways that count. There was Thanksgiving with my actual family, with all of the odd emotions that accompanied it when I thought about people who should have been there and the fact that it was probably the last one that Jarred, Travis, my mom and I will celebrate altogether for awhile. I got to go to church and see so many faces that I truly love. And though the dog may have eaten my hairbrush less than 24 hours after I arrived home, I honestly can't think the week could have been better.

I'm ready for Christmas break to arrive. I'm excited to go back.

It was pleasantly surprising, though, how easy it was to come back to Bozeman. Sure, when I was in Wenatchee I moped about having to return, but once I got in the car it was okay. I had been really prepared to feel even more homesick this week, but I'm fine. Part of it, I know, is because I only have two weeks (incredibly busy weeks, but two weeks nonetheless) until I'm back. Another part, though, is that I'm finally starting to feel comfortable here. I'm starting to like it. And in some way, Bozeman, too, is beginning to feel like home.

If you'd like to read the second part of this post-about my second home-click here.

Yeah, we're cool kids that run 5Ks (and get flat tires in the process...)
So glad I FINALLY got to meet Ella Faith!  What a beautiful little girl!
How can you not miss a house that looks this cute?!


I've really missed these emails.
There was so much joy being back here.
Bet you guys didn't know I was taking such an amazing(ly awkward) photo, huh?

Look at that beautiful valley! What church can ask for a better view?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Reset Button (Or: Why Camp Can't Get Rid of Me)

A New Home, Church, and a Bit of Camp Wisdom

And the Church Kept Singing